Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Of Race and Marriage


Prior to 1948, Nikki and I would not have been able to legally marry in California. The case of Perez v. Sharp established in California the fundemantal right of marriage, and it wasn't until 1967 that the U.S. Supreme court struck down an anti-interracial statute in Loving v. Virginia., establishing that right for all. Just 40 years ago, during the lifetime of our parents!
This brings me to Obama speech on race today. (See below for speech) Powerful. If he were to win the presidency, this speech will go down in history, along side of JFK, FDR and Lincoln. Though, not quite the power of King's I Have a Dream speech, it nonetheless did something that I don't ever remember in my life time. (NY Times reaction)

Obama reached into the depth this country's history, the ugliness, the warts and scars, the triumphs and the need for continued work. His invocation of the OJ trial, and the reaction to the verdict, pulls this topic into the reality of this new century. Nikki tells me that the day the verdict was announced she was at the BYU bookstore. She says that everyone in the bookstore was shocked. She does not remember one person of color there that day. I remember the pictures of African-Americans jumping for joy. Of course, as Latinos in LA we sighed and went along our business.

However, Obama's willingness to tackle this subject in such a brutally honest way takes some courage, not the courage of the battlefield, but courage knowing that this speech could possible ruin his chance at the White House. To have a politician talk openly of these issue is simply amazing. Like I said, I personally do not remember anyone address this issue in such an even handed way.

There will be detrators, there always are. That is there right. Nevertheless, his message of hope, the willingness to understand that it will require time and effort to change the attitudes, and the power of us to make it happen, are profound core beliefs that may yet win the day.

Yes We Can, Si Se Puede


2 comments:

douglas hunter said...

As a point of minor disagreement I don't think that Obama was anywhere near the neighborhood of "brutally honest." he was stepping so carefully around important issues that I think many (white ) folks will forever miss important elements of what he was describing.

I do give him a lot of credit for going there, even if he did it on his tip toes. He showed that he has a very real grasp of challenging and nuanced issues and is capable of articulating it to the general public. Something that the American presidents in my life time have universally failed at. the idea of Reagan as "great communicator" is exposed as the joke it is with Obama around.

As a personal observation I was very uncomfortable with how he talked about his pastor. While I know most white people will disagree, for me it was not necessary for him to distance himself from, or reject the some of the ideas of his former pastor. I know what that man said and understand the context so nothing more needs to be said. Besides I certainly here things every week at Church that I strongly disagree with but I am not leaving my church. Its a total parody of religious life in America to say that one has to always agree with one's spiritual community OR renounce it when there are disagreements. That's total nonsense.

I take the backlash against Obama's speech as a chilling reminder that there are many in this country who insist that Obama should prove to them that he is white enough to be president.

Serena Potter said...

Well said Douglas. I do think though, in our current climate that he had to be somewhat on his tip toes. As you say there are so many who want him to prove he is white enough. This is a race and he has to try and play the game right till he gets to the finish line. Like it or not.